Getting a new skimmer

• 主題發起人 Andrew
  • 開始日期
  • 關注者 0
A

Andrew

訪客
After long struggle, I decided to get myself a powerful skimmer. On the old board I kept on preaching the importance of the skimmer and now I ran into the same problem on what I was preaching, my skimmer is not big enough to process my tank. An efficient skimmer should be able to process 4X+ the total water volume of your tank hourly.
I am currently using a Turboflotor 1000. Don’t get me wrong, it is a good skimmer but I just need something that is more powerful for my newly set up 120 gallon SPS tank. LTY saw my new tank back in November when he visited New York and he can tell you the fish load I have. I couldn't possibly get rid of my fish as I have them all about three to four years and I need to keep the waste they produced in check. So, I am getting the ETSS 800, the most powerful in sump skimmer that I can get. At first I was debating between the Euro Reef CS8-3, a skimmer manufactured by a small company with great reviews.
http://www.reeffanatic.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=ps_er&item=PS_ERCS83&type=store
But after discussing with a friend of mine who is using an ETSS 1000 skimmer, he told me about the improvement of the quality and efficiency of this downdraft skimmer, I then decided to go with the ETSS 800 with over 1000 gallon/H processing capacity and is plankton friendly.
I will post the result as I am waiting for the arrival of the skimmer. I have already purchased the Dolphin DP 1200 submersible/inline pump that pumps 180 gallon per minute via 2 ft. One of the best pump I have ever used. I got all the fittings as well. I just can’t wait to see this skimmer in action. For those of you who reads this post, Please learn from my past experience, when you want to buy a hardware, please make sure that you get the equipment you want more than what you need as now I have four different skimmers sitting at home. BTW, to show my support to your new fish club, I will donate one of the skimmers (Top Phantom 110 TF, for tanks up to 100 gallon) as a raffle for your first official meeting. That is if anyone of your friends is visiting New York where I can deliver it to him or her, OK???
Anyone interesting in the ETSS 800 can visit the site below:
http://superskimmer.com/etss_800.htm

[這個帖子最後由art在 2002/01/28 10:41pm 編輯]

請問 Andrew 兄,
要如何判斷 skimmer 是否夠用?
一般廠商標示的狀況不見得與自己的缸一樣啊
當然, 最少四倍大的量或是能放的下的最大號都是很好的原則
可是如何對現有的 skimmer 做評估呢
是由打出的髒水的量的多寡
還是從水質的變化來判斷
在什麼樣的狀況下, 該考慮加大處理能力
I have 3 different skimmer in my house. And, I'm planning to buy another one. It's not because their efficiency, but one of them is not working. Looks likly, I should get a 1000L/H+ skimmer for the 250L tank and move the current 500L/H skimmer to a 50L tank.
Thanks!

[這個帖子最後由tjs在 2002/01/28 09:26pm 編輯]

小弟不才......誰能幫我把上面的東西翻譯一下.....我都看不懂...要翻字典..又會翻死人
有哪位好心人能幫我翻一下......感激不盡

要如何判斷 skimmer 是否夠用?
Generally speaking:
Fish Only Tanks need the strongest filter turnover rate for that tank size.
SPS Stony Coral Tanks require less filtration than Fish only tanks.
Soft Coral Tanks require the least filtration.
Turnover Rates for Display Tank Skimmers
One Tank turnover per hour is the minimum skimming that seems to have any effect on your tank's water quality at all. This is fine in an environment where really high organic levels are desired. A 300 GPH skimmer would be rated for a 300 gallon tank.

Two Tank turnovers per hour is a much cleaner tank environment that has noticeably lower organic level and some increase in the aquariums oxygen level. The same 300 GPH skimmer would now be rated for a 150 gallon tank.
Three Tank Turnovers per hour enough speed to be able to remove organics as they are formed and before the tanks live rock or biological filter can convert them to none skimmable nitrates. Oxygen levels increase greatly in the aquarium and a tanks light transmission is also increased due to the increased water clarity by the removal of small particulates. Some phosphate removal, causing a decrease nuisance algae. The same 300 GPH skimmer is now rated for a 100 gallon tank.
Four Tank Turnovers per hour is considered the ideal rate for most applications including most soft corals, SPS corals, and/or a large fish population in the aquarium. We call this the Ultra High Flow level where very rapid organic waste removal minimizes the formation of nitrates, very effective oxygenation greatly reduces nightly CO2 buildup, which is responsible for daily PH fluctuation. Good phosphate removal capability controls nuisance algae. The tremendous air flow obtained at these flow rates is also responsible for lifting a great deal of particulate out of the system. This is so effective that mechanical filtration is no longer necessary. The water clarity is absolutely sparkling, the light transmission is also greatly enhanced. A tanks water quality parameters are very stable. The same 300 GPH skimmer would now be rated for a 75 gallon tank.
Five Tank Turnovers per hour is ideal for fish only tanks and low organic level loving corals. The aquarium water has a sparkling look about it caused by its very high oxygen saturation. Nuisance algae can be eliminated totally, especially if you maintain proper calcium and alkalinity (This is also very important to a great looking fish only tank). Phosphate removal is very high. Very good tank water parameter stability. Very low PH fluctuation. Mechanical filtration not necessary and would degrade water quality if not maintained meticulously. This is also the best turnover rate for fish only aquariums. The same 300GPH skimmer would now be rated for a 60 gallon tank.
Six Tank Turnovers per hour seems to be the maximum flow rate for effective skimming, increasing the flow rate more will only yield very marginal increases in water quality. This is the flow rate to shoot for if keeping a large Fish load, fish just love clean oxygen rich water, the cleaner the better and the same applies to SPS corals in your aquarium. The water is extremely low in organic waste and very high in oxygen. Ideal for SPS corals. The phosphate removal is so high that nuisance algae literally disappears from the aquarium. Oxygen will be at the maximum level obtainable, which is saturation. At this level the skimmer will totally control a tanks water quality. Mechanical filtration is not needed and would only degrade water quality if used. Light transmission is at a maximum. The tank's water looks absolutely sparkling. Do not use this much skimming on "dirt" (high organics) loving soft corals and some LPS corals as they will not thrive. Note if keeping a mixed assortment of corals the aquariums organic level has to be high enough the satisfy all inhabitants. This is why we have both Soft and LPS corals in different tank setups then we do for SPS corals. It allows us to more closely match the organic level found in the corals natural habitat. The same 300 GPH skimmer would now be rated for a 50 gallon tank.
Skimmer Sizing Math
Tank capacity in gallons X Turnovers per hour desired = Skimmer GPH rating.
e.g. 180 gallon tank X 4 turnovers = a 720 GPH skimmer size is desired.
How to measure your skimmers capacity.
Gallons per hour rating can easily be measured by anyone, all it takes is a watch and a 5 gallon bucket. Measure the time it takes to fill the bucket with the skimmers discharge. No guessing, no "trust me" here.
Total gallons filled / Seconds to fill x 360 = Skimmers GPH flow rate
e.g. 30 seconds to fill a 5 gallon bucket would equal a 600 GPH flow rate.

Tank sizing once a skimmers GPH is known.
e.g. Skimmer GPH / Tank size = # of tank turnovers per hour. Note that changing to a different pump or controlling the pump's output will change the Skimmer GPH rating. A simple flow rate test will give you the new GPH rating. The change in flow rate that a skimmer can be operated in effectively is stated as its Processing Range.

What is skimmer efficiency?
Skimmer efficiency is the measure of how much water is processed and the amount of pump power required to do it. You will need to know the pump manufacturers rating at 4 ft of head for the pump you are using and the skimmers discharge rate in GPH. All pumps must be compared using the "same" feet of head rating for this efficiency rating to be valid. Most skimmers efficiency rating falls into 20% (very low, 80% of the pumps output is lost) to 85% (the highest possible, only 15% of the pumps output is lost) range. The higher the number the more efficient the skimmer. Using less electricity (a smaller Pump needed to do the same work) and creating less heating of the aquarium water.
Skimmer output (GPH) / Pump rating (GPH) = % efficiency.
e.g. A 300 GPH skimmer discharge rate / pump (cap 1800 powerhead) rated at 380 GPH@4ft. = 79% efficiency.
*****Data acquired from the following link:
http://superskimmer.com/Skimmer%20Sizing.htm

[這個帖子最後由art在 2002/01/29 05:15pm 編輯]

Thank you, Andrew.
我測試了我的 skimmer, 結果大致與廠商的數字相符
當然, 不同的幫浦及設置條件會對效率有很大的影響
我也會考慮要多大的 skimmer 才合適
另外, 以下是摘譯部份重點
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
要如何判斷 skimmer 是否夠用?
一般來說
純養魚需要最高效率的 skimmer
SPS的需要僅比純養魚少
軟珊瑚的需求最小
skimmer 的運轉率
每小時可以處理一缸水量的 skimmer 是最小的需求, 只能用在飼養對有機物有高需求的缸子
每小時處理兩倍水量的 skimmer 可以使水質較為清澈, 明顯的降低有機物, 對溶氧率有一些提昇
用每小時處理三倍水量的 skimmer 可以在活石及其他生物過濾之前把有機物去除以減少硝酸鹽的產生. 溶氧大為增加, 水質更清澈, 因磷酸鹽被瀘掉, 減少令人不快的低等藻類.
每小時可以處理四倍水量的 skimmer 被認為是最理想的比率, 包括多數軟珊瑚, SPS, 和大型魚. 我們稱之為超高流量, 它可以快速的去除有機廢物,減少硝酸鹽的產生. 非常有效的增加溶氧, 降低夜間二氧化碳的增加, 穩定 PH 值. 好的磷酸鹽去除能力, 控制了低等藻類的生長. 大量的水流也提昇了機械過濾的效率. 缸中的水質會非常的安定.
每小時可以處理五倍水量是最理想的純養魚及低有機物需求的珊瑚的 skimmer. 水看來清澈閃亮, 是因為有非常高的溶氧率. 討厭的低等藻類完全不存在, 尤其是有維持適當的 Ca及KH (對好看的純養魚缸也很重要). 磷酸鹽去除能力很高. 水質非常的穩定. 低 PH的變化. 機械過濾在此是不必要的, 甚至可能因為沒有仔細維護而降低水質.
用每小時處理六倍水量似乎是極限, skimmer 只能對水質有些微的再改善. 這樣的流量是為了有大量魚隻的缸子, 魚喜歡高溶氧, 愈乾淨愈好. 同樣的需求也適用於 SPS. 極少的有機物, 非常高的溶氧. 低等藻類在缸中消失. 至此, skimmer 完全控制了缸子的水質. 機械過濾是完全不必要的, 甚至會降低水質. 水看來非常的清澈閃亮. 請不要用在飼養需要有機物的軟珊瑚缸中. 請注意, 如果缸中有各種不同需求的珊瑚, 有機物就必需要多到能滿足所有的物種. 這是為何軟珊瑚缸與SPS缸的設置不同. 如此才能做出與其生長的自然環境類似的有機生態.
-----------------------------------------
時間太晚了, 下次再譯計算的部份.

譯續:
---------------------------------------------------
計算所需的 skimmer
缸子的水量 x 每小時處理的倍數 = skimmer 規格
例如: 250L 缸子 X 每小時 4 倍 = 需要 1000L/H 的 skimmer
計算 skimmer 的處理能力
用一個5公升的桶子(大一點比較準), 計算 skimmer 出水裝滿桶子所需的時間 (skimmer 在正常運作)
桶子的容量(公升) / 裝滿所需的時間(秒) x 360 = skimmer 的處理能力 L/H (每小時升)
例如: 10 秒鐘裝滿 5公升的桶子 = 180 L/H
一旦有了缸子的水量及 skimmer 的處理能力, 就可以算出其倍數 (turnover per hour). 請注意, 不同的馬達或改變設置的位置都會改變 skimmer 的處理能力. 做個簡單的測試即可得到新的處理能力 L/H 值. 在 skimmer 可以有效運作的狀況下的流量改變稱之為 skimmer 的 Processing Range (處理範圍).
什麼是 skimmer 的效率?
skimmer 的效率是指多少被處理的水量需要多大的馬達. 你需要馬達製造商所提供在 4英尺高的出水量及 skimmer 的處理量. 所有試的馬達必需在相同的設置下. 大部份的 skimmer 都在 20% 到 85% (15%的消耗) 之間, 愈高愈有效率. 請選用耗電量較低的馬達同時也會對水溫有較少的影響.
skimmer 的處理能力(L/H) / 馬達出水量(L/H) = % 效率
500 L/H skimmer / 1500 L/H 馬達 = 33%

翻譯有錯
不好意思把舊文章翻出來
原文:Total gallons filled / Seconds to fill x 360 = Skimmers GPH flow rate
改(Total gallons filled / Seconds to fill)x 3600 = Skimmers GPH flow rate
這樣改比較容易看的懂計算!!
沒有括弧害我算老半天跟答案不一樣
原文:例如: 10 秒鐘裝滿 5公升的桶子 = 180 L/H
改:例如: 10 秒鐘裝滿 5公升的桶子 = 1800 L/H

返回
上方 下方