Thanks David,

I am much concern is because my overflow design is that there is an outlet spaces just right at the bottom and if I fill it with sands it may blocks the water flow out . When my tank was constructed , I was asked if I will put sand bed or not , at that time I think better bare bottom so I told the tank maker that I won't . And he put the outlet right at the bottom . If I filled it with sand then the only one left will be the top layer, I wonder if this will slow down the drain and even those debris or fish poopoo stocks at the bottom will create a problem later on. Will post a photo when got back home tonight so you can pictured what I mean .

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi MD,

If the bottom outlet is higher than 3cm, I don't think adding a 2cm sand bed will get any problem.

My tank is the same with yours. The LFS where I ordered my tank didn't asked me if I will have a sand bed or not. So I have a outlet spaces in the bottom such as yours, and I set a 4-inch sand bed in the bottom. The bottom outlet is totally blocked. There is nothing trouble with it.

I don't worry about the poopoo issue.because with only a thin layer sand can more or less enhance your beneficial bacteria activities.I tend to trust the bacterial cycle in my tank. I do 5% water change each week. when the tank reaches balance (proper feeding with proper water change).there is no problem at all.
So let the system do its job.

Hi MD,

If the bottom outlet is higher than 3cm, I don't think adding a 2cm sand bed will get any problem.

My tank is the same with yours. The LFS where I ordered my tank didn't asked me if I will have a sand bed or not. So I have a outlet spaces in the bottom such as yours, and I set a 4-inch sand bed in the bottom. The bottom outlet is totally blocked. There is nothing trouble with it.

hi Xdai 27,

this is an encouraging words. ok, I will be turning my barebottom tank into with sand bed tank. I guess it will not only make my tank more stable and looks natural too. thanks

I don't worry about the poopoo issue.because with only a thin layer sand can more or less enhance your beneficial bacteria activities.I tend to trust the bacterial cycle in my tank. I do 5% water change each week. when the tank reaches balance (proper feeding with proper water change).there is no problem at all.
So let the system do its job.

thanks as well David,

Yes, I will transform my barebottom tank into sand bed tank.

by the way, I have another quesitons, I feel my overflow will hold some dirt or detritis at the base, because i have a Dorso pipe to maintain the flow and due to the height there is some detritus or whatever stay at the bottom. do you guys think that it is better I put a small pump fronting the base so that all those detritus will be free flowing and suck out by the dorso head and go all the way to the filter socks?

cheers,

MD

Maybe use poly filter and see if it registers any metals or other contaminants. Got a pack of you want to use it. I probably won't ever need it.

Also are all your pipes free of metal? Dumb question but I bought an used tank and was surprised to see I had metal ball valves.

Maybe throw a light in your sump and see if acros will grow there. Could be something in the display

Good luck

No red bugs, MEFW or AEFW?

I use Herbie stand pipe in my overflow. I have same issue. I choose to ignore it. If it is really a dagger in your eyes,syphon it!

Maybe use poly filter and see if it registers any metals or other contaminants. Got a pack of you want to use it. I probably won't ever need it.

Also are all your pipes free of metal? Dumb question but I bought an used tank and was surprised to see I had metal ball valves.

Maybe throw a light in your sump and see if acros will grow there. Could be something in the display

Good luck

No red bugs, MEFW or AEFW?

My Acros simply just browned and then die, no PE at all only during the time I just put it in , It has PE for few days then PE gone then the next thing browned and after that cover with some algae like stuff then at teh end coralline algae all over it, so it means they die off.

No metal pipe or ball valves whatsoever. only use GFO before but I guest this rush stuff does not poison our livestocks there, as it is use for phosphate absorber.

Poly filter? I heard it will turn colors when the present of any metal specially copper. last time I was in Los Angeles LAX, try to use my time WAITING FOR MY CONNECTION back to taiwan, looking on the LFS nearby LAX but unfortunately they dont have it.

I don't. think I have any red bug, AEFW etc, sicne no more Acros around except only few digi.

cheers,

MD

I use Herbie stand pipe in my overflow. I have same issue. I choose to ignore it. If it is really a dagger in your eyes,syphon it!

well, I am thinking putting a permanent wave pump like thje SEIO 530 (have one) just to make sure all those detritus in the base floor will be freely flowing till they suck out of the pipe to the filter sock.

cheers,

MD

Hi ,

As promised here is the overflow section where in I mentioned about the bottom base with outlet , in case I filled it up with sand bed , then ok to block it ?

5f4987dd872276a7d90ec13c005eafbe.jpg

74479d0f89f81ec9058dfad0351216db.jpg

48c284cd8ec41f83a84c70bafaad9376.jpg

Furthermore , the overflow with dorso pipe , I plan to put a pump fronting downward in order to let any detritus accumulate at the base be free flowing up and be suck in by the dorso pipe to let it flow out to the filter socks then .

7ed864bdcf30a8de763e28dcc2a78d28.jpg

3831b9cbd6b8c79ab8e3eaf001a229c2.jpg

Cheers ,

MD

I'd remove the false wall if you are going to block it with sand. Prevents detrius from settling there and gives you more space in your DT.

I actually had the same false wall in my tank with the same grates on the bottom and I removed the whole false wall.

I'd remove the false wall if you are going to block it with sand. Prevents detrius from settling there and gives you more space in your DT.

I actually had the same false wall in my tank with the same grates on the bottom and I removed the whole false wall.

Hello Psidriven,

Thanks for the advise and suggestion .

Removing the whole false wall? I think it is a big works. Really need to dismantle it ? Can I just leave it that way ? I don't mind to make my DT bigger spaces .

Thanks for the offer on the poly filter , yes it will be great to have it to try out and rule out any metal contaminant . Please tell me how can I get it from you ? You in Taipei ?

Cheers ,

MD

相似主題